In day to day life or for when an emergency arises, tools are the most overlooked objects in a household. For most people, having household tools mean having hammers and screwdrivers and a few stashed away somewhere in an old, rusty, toolbox. But that’s not all that we are supposed to have. These tools sure do come in handy for minor issues but they’re not all when you don’t have a handyman available.
There are so many more tools you need on a daily basis. Here are the practical set of tools you need in your home or an apartment on a regular basis and also the tools that come in handy when an emergency arises. A website called Tools insider provides users with such information and more.
Basic everyday household tools
- Claw hammer: A claw hammer is a tool with one side of the head split. It is used primarily for pounding nails into an object. The split end allows removing of nail from an object. Select a one which is not very heavy and a handle that is comfortable.
- Cordless power drill: It is drilling tool that runs on batteries. It is used to drill holes on any surface and also to tighten various materials. Choose a drill that has variable speeds and a T-handle which is really comfortable.
- Hand drill: Sure you have a power drill and feel no need of buying a hand drill but it comes to the rescue when the cordless drill runs out of batteries.
- Crescent wrench: It is an adjustable spanner with a moving jaw that allows it to be used with fastener head of different sizes.
- Screwdrivers: It is used to insert or remove screws. You will need two types of it – a flat head and a Phillips. Flat head are the basic screwdrivers and Phillips-head can be only be used on certain type of screw.
- Tape measure: Tape measures are used to measure things. Investing in a good one can give a better pay off in terms of ease and longevity.
- Pliers: Used to hold an object firmly in place. A medium sized slip-joint piers and a needle nosed pliers will do the job.
- Saws: The hacksaw and the crosscut saw are the commonly used two types of saws. The hacksaws are used for cutting metal objects and the crosscut saws are used for everything else.
- Utility knife: A utility knife is used for general purposes. It can be used for cutting cardboard boxes, opening up packages, etc.
- Tool box: A tool box is essential for keeping all your tools in one place. Buy a one that isn’t too big or too small for your tools.
Also, don’t forget duct tapes, electrical tapes, wires, assorted nails, screws, nuts and bolts, sand paper and glue. These are the basic tools one needs in their homes. Invest in good ones so that they last for a longer period of time. Tools insider website provides more such information on tools and their proper uses.
Now, moving on to a different area of the house; the garage. Garage is a building, connected to a house, used to store cars. There are also certain tools that are essential for keeping in a garage to maintain cars. A cluttered garage can not only be frustrating but also dangerous. If you are the kind of person who likes taking care and maintaining car by themselves, then these are the tools that will help you in a longer run. You can also refer to the internet sites like Tools insider which provide detailed information on such topics.
Essential garage tools
- Wrenches: The basic and must have tool in any tool box. Choose the ones with chrome-vanadium alloy as they can last for a lifetime. Investing in metric wrench set.
- Ratchets and sockets: A socket wrench or a socket spanner is a type of spanner that has socket attached to one end. It is used to turn a fastener. It allows one to work with speed and accuracy.
- Screwdrivers: A good set of screwdrivers is the basic element of any well-assorted tool box. They come in various shapes and sizes. The most common ones are flat, Phillips, Allen and Torx. Most ratchet sets include a few different heads of screwdrivers. You can learn more about such tools on Tools insider.
- Pliers: These are an important tool and keeping them comes in handy. They are used to cut wires and hold things in place. Long nosed pliers and jaw pliers are the most common ones.
- Hammer: These are really basic and the most important tool. These are so important when you have to work on brakes and suspension. Get a one with a rubber handlebar to ensure proper and firm grip.
- Multimeter: is a measuring instrument. It allows measuring voltage, resistance and amperage. They are extremely useful to check batteries, fuses. Their price range can vary from cheap and inexpensive to very expensive.
- Jack: not all car jobs require lifting up the car but, in many cases, it will make the job easier. Good quality jacks can be a little pricey; you can use the mechanical jacks that come with cars as a substitute, or even ramps.
- Jack stands: They are important tools when you have to perform auto mechanical tasks. Make sure to buy the stands that can bear up to 2-3 tons of weight.
- Ramps: Used to lift up the cars in a secure way. The significant advantage of it is that the cheaper ones are just as good as the expensive ones.
- Oil dripping pan: These allow you to collect the used oil, work in a clean environment and also avoid dangerous oil spills.
If you are an enthusiast and want to modify your garage or even remodel it, you can refer Tools insider site, they provide step by step information on topics like these. However, if you enjoy maintaining your car by yourself, then these tools are going to help you do just that. They will make your job easier and quicker. Investing in right kind of tools will be beneficial as the last for a longer period of time or even lifetime.